Read what Egypt coach said about the Super Eagles

Cuper believes Nigeria will be a difficult team to beat in future
– Says he was tensed during the second-leg match in Alexandria

After condemning the Super Eagles of Nigeria to a second consecutive African Cup of Nations (AFCON) miss, Pharaohs of Egypt coach Hector Cuper has praised the
Nigerian team for pulling a good fight.

Hector Cuper


Ramadan Sobhy netted the lone goal of the return leg match between both sides on Tuesday March 29 at the Borg Al-Arab Stadium in Alexandria after the first leg
ended 1 – 1 in Kaduna four days earlier.

The loss meant Nigeria will miss the Africa Cup of Nations for the second straight time after missing the 2013 in Equatorial Guinea.

According to Hector Cuper, the Nigerian team will be a team to beat if the Nigeria Football Federation can keep the team together.

“We (Egypt) had a very good first half but a bad second half but I’m happy with what my players did overall,”he said

“Nigeria are a very good side with lots of players in the big leagues in Europe.

“I respect the Super Eagles players and I was edgy during the game but I’m happy we have been able to pull through.

It’s a shame Nigeria won’t be at the Africa Cup of Nations.” Cuper added.

The 60-year-old also responded to why he didn’t play top striker Ahmed ‘Kouka’ Hassan during the win over the
Eagles even as fans were calling on the coach to bring onthe striker.

“I have nothing against Hassan, he is an important player for our team but I felt this wasn’t the kind of game I needed him,” Cuper said

“He didn’t fit into my plans so that’s why he didn’t get to start. There are many other games and he will get his chance just like everyone else on the team.”

Share this

Related Posts